No fewer than 85 Nigerians were killed in various violent attacks across the nation last week.
These figures were provided sourcing research from newspaper reports, interviews with victims’ families, and in some cases, confirmation by public and security officials.
The report which details of the incident was published on Sunday by PREMIUM TIMES.
In reaction to this, Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, said recalling retired military officers may be the solution to the prevailing security challenges of the country.
Mr Abubakar, who contested for president under the umbrella of the Peoples Democratic Party in 2019, said this in a statement on the “deteriorating security situation.”
“The security situation in Nigeria is deteriorating rapidly and ordinary Nigerians are living in fear for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. Nowhere seems to be safe. Farms, markets, schools, homes, mosques, churches, and urban areas are all affected.”
“Now is the time for decisive leadership and I call on the Federal Government to consider recalling all ex-servicemen and women, who are willing to return to service, and take the fight to the insurgents until they are rolled back and defeated.”
Like Mr Abubakar, many leaders, including different state governors, have called on President Muhammadu Buhari to find lasting solutions to the security challenges in the country.
But the Owa Ooye of Okemesi-Ekiti, Gbadebo Adedeji, on Saturday, said traditional powers, known in local parlance as “African Juju’, has the potency of ending the current spate of kidnappings and other crimes in the country.
The monarch made this known in Okemesi-Ekiti, Ekiti West Local Government Area of Ekiti.